The roots of the Jerusalem Vineyard Winery began when Yona Mendelson, a Chabad Hassid, married into the Shor family, which founded their winery in Israel in 1848 and he entered into the family business. The winery was located in Jerusalem's Old City. This was the beginnings of the wine industry in Israel. Later, the winery moved to the Jerusalem neighborhood of Beit Yisrael. As the family grew, it diversified after the War of Independence, but remained in the wine trade. Mendelson renamed his share Shimshon Winery in 1951 and in 1976, the winery moved again to its current site at Atarot, in the northern periphery of Jerusalem.
Businessman Ofer Guetta purchased Shimshon Winery in 2006 (in the Jewish year 5766) and renamed it Jerusalem Vineyard Winery. It is these days, the only remaining winery in Israel's capital. The labels pay homage to the Jewish calendar, Jerusalem and the history of the Jewish people.
The winery, which produces three million bottles of wine, sacramental wine and grape juice (made from wine grapes), gradually grew to become the sixth largest winery in Israel.
Recently, with a new vision and large investment, the winery changed focus to quality. A new dynamic CEO was appointed, and they employed Sam Soroka, one of Israel’s best known and most experienced winemakers, to be chief winemaker. There have been large investments both in vineyards and winemaking equipment. The results are apparent in the awards won by the winery, for wines showing both high quality and great value, at every price point. This has included some of the highest scores ever awarded to an Israeli by one of the most famous international magazines.
The Jerusalem VW wines are made with strict attention to Kashrut. The wines are Kosher Le’Mehadrin, under the supervision of Badatz Beit Yosef.